Sunday, September 7, 2008

The future of humanity?

I think humankind will end up in the clash of civilizations, which I believe might lead to a war including every nation around the globe. As a Christian, I believe what is written in the book of Revelations, and for such a battle, as the one of Armageddon to happen, I think a global issue need to part nations and turn them against each other.

I know this might sound strange, but I think at the end two big powers will remain: Christian countries and non-Christian ones. You might ask why not Islam versus non-Islam. My answer is: because Christian countries seem to have very distinctive ideas and policies that many countries share, while other religions are maybe not that consistent and wide-spread. (I'm basically saying that most of the rich countries are Christian, which means that Christian-led countries have a sort of elite, leading position, which can be countered only if all the other countries form an alliance.)

As many countries are on the rise, at least China along with some its neighbors, I think people will become more and more aware of who they are spiritually. Soon, at least hopefully, every person will reach a point of relative well-being, after which religious questions will become a lot more important. I think the main difference will be whether one is a Christian or from another religion. Since religion is a very basic yet important part of civilizations, ideological differences will stem from it.

So, to sum up, I believe Huntington is right, because no matter how much we tolerate each other, meaning this both in everyday interactions and in international politics, there comes a point when a person's human rights are violated by tolerance. There comes a point when a person has to stand up for what he or she believes. And when this point comes, civilizations will collide.

1 comment:

Vadim Isakov said...

There are some numbers indicating that the role of religion becomes less important in the countries that we consider "wealthy." Take a look at this article, for example:
http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200803/secularism