Saturday, September 13, 2008

Development Journalism

I disagree with this concept. I think it's just a way to disguise dictatorship and corruption.

Okay, let's assume that a perfect government proposes this type of journalism to really help and promote the society of the given developing country. People see that yes, we're making progress here and there, and wow, he have an amazing culture, and our leaders are great guys. Then, after 20 years they get to the point when they can actually switch to liberal democracy, and suddenly, people have to face a lot of new and strange things. For example:
1. they are going to be bombarded with foreign media messages that they have probably never seen before, how should they know which one to believe?
2. suddenly, the media starts to act as a watchdog, which might be confusing to people given that it's been helping the government so far...
3. if people have not been exposed to models of democracy in different cultures before, how can they judge whether their government is democratic, and how do they know whether democracy is good at all.

If a government wants to educate its people, the first thing they can do is allow free journalism. It's easy to govern people if they don't even know what they want. And I don't mean that the country should be flooded with American shows and Brazilian soap operas, obviously not. I mean that journalists should be allowed to report on other countries or their own country in a way that's objective and helpful to people.

Well, you might ask how do they know what is helpful. I would like to be a journalist primary because I believe that TRUTH is helpful. I have my own ideas about life, but I don't want to tell people what to think. I just want to show them the truth, no matter what it is. And then people can decide for themselves what they want to believe in. Every time I check CNN.com, I notice that the headlines already give a negative or positive connotation to stories. For example, every time there's something about Palin, it is presented in either a negative or sarcastic way. So how could people decide what they really think?

No comments: